Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Our first visit with Dr. Yu

Joel & I went to our first OB visit yesterday with Dr. Yu. She is wonderful! We hadn't even met her before, but one of my good friends recommended her, so I just went with it! I'd been praying that we would be a good match and that she'd be nice and easy to talk to. Well, she certainly was all that, plus she's super friendly and personable, and is also a twin, so that's fun! I think she will really take care of us. We didn't get an ultrasound, but we did get to hear the babies heartbeats for the first time, which was very cool! We also scheduled our "anatomy ultrasound" to find out the sex of the babies - I positively cannot wait til then!!! It's going to be August 26th, so about four more weeks of waiting. So, that's our latest news here. I did find some pictures online of what the babies look like at 15 weeks, so you can kind of get an idea. I think they're quite cute!
Here's what is happening at 15 weeks:
You may begin to feel some fluttering movements as baby kicks, flails, twists and turns (but don't panic if you don't yet). She can also grasp, squint, frown, grimace and maybe suck her thumb!
Your baby's legs have grown longer than the arms and the body is now longer than the head.
And you'll be happy to note that he is moving those arms and legs often!
His skin is very thin -- so thin blood vessel are visible. It's covered by a fine, soft layer of hair called lanugo. Lanugo comes from a Latin word meaning "down." This hair is thought to help insulate your little boy.
The three tiny bones in his middle ear have begun to harden. The auditory centers in your baby's brain haven't developed yet, so she might not really understand what you say but her hearing capacity is in the process of developing.
Fingernails and toenails are growing.
Eyebrows are beginning to grow and even the hair his head is sprouting. It will probably change color and texture after birth.
All this and your little one is an amazing 3.98 inches (10.1cm) long and may weigh 2.47 ounces (70gm).

I haven't really felt the babies moving yet, but I am looking forward to that first flutter! :o)

1 comment:

The Roper's said...

Hey Joanna! Found your blog through a friend and just wanted to say congrats!! You will be wonderful parents and those will be 2 pretty babies!! I've missed you at Jazzercise :)


Us at Thanksgiving

All smiles on the Big Day




Faith never knows where it is being led, but it knows and loves the One who is leading. ~Oswald Chambers