Thursday, October 23, 2008

What A Day!!!!

Yesterday was one of those days that when you wake up the next morning, you wonder, "Did all of that really just happen to me?!?!" But yes, in fact, it was one of the craziest days of my life and I will expand on the details later on in this post, but for now, here are a few pics to sum it up.


Here I am Tuesday night, working late b/c it was PTO night at school

I realized that this was the first time I've used my belly to set my food on & eat

My intern & I had a good laugh about it and decided to take a picture

I had no idea what was in store for me the next day

But I sure did enjoy my mac 'n' cheese!





This happened about 12:30 Wednesday afternoon


As Joel & I were headed home after a great doctor's visit


A guy pulled out right in front of us to turn left and obviously did not see us


This was about 4:00 that day, as I had just been admitted to Centennial Hospital


in their Maternity ER


You notice here I am smiling



First I will start by saying that MOMMY & BABIES ARE PERFECTLY OKAY! And although there was a lot that happened yesterday that was very stressful, God's angels were all around us and thankfully each person involved are alright.


So now, here is the long version... I had a doctor appointment at 10:00 Wednesday morning, just my usual 4 week ultrasound and check-up. The babies looked great on the ultrasound although we didn't get any good pictures b/c there is so much stuff floating around in there and guess it's getting more and more cramped in there. But nevertheless, both girls are doing perfectly, which is all we can ask. They each weigh 2 pounds 3 ounces, and their heart rates were 143 and 154. Baby A is still breach and Baby B is transverse. Still time for them to flip, but who knows if that will happen or not. We're not gonna worry about it. Just glad they're healthy and happy in there. Met with the doctor and everything seems just fine. She asks me if I've had any contractions, I say, "I don't think so" cause it's really hard for me to know. I feel occasional cramping but she says that could be my uterus expanding, cause everything is still growing. Plus, I have a really low pain tolerance, so I figure I would know if I was having a contraction.


* On a side note, I took my glucose tolerance test (which checks for gestational diabetes) and passed! Thank you Lord!!! One less thing I have to worry about. *


Joel was with me and we left, and went to Logan's to eat lunch. Then we headed back home, as I had taken the whole day off from work. For those of you who live in or around Nashville, we were driving down Edmonson Pike, going toward Old Hickory Blvd. We were driving the speed limit, about 40 mph. We saw cars waiting to pull out of the Edmonson Library and for some reaosn, this red Exterra thought it was clear for him to turn left and just pulled out right in front of us. Joel was driving and I yelled out "Watch out!" and the Exterra then stopped b/c he saw us and we slammed on our breaks but still hit. It's funny that you actually have time to think before you know you are going to be in a car wreck - Joel thought "I can't believe this is happening" and I though "We are gonna hit this guy." Thankfully, we were able to stop for the most part, but still had a fender bender. We were all okay, it did more damage to my Camry than to the guy's Exterra. He was very apologetic, admitted it was his fault, said he just didn't see us coming, and we called the police for a report. The guy was nice, we got his insurance info, etc and after waiting about 40 minutes, a police car finally came and took care of the rest. Thank goodness, the car was still driveable, so we headed home. But not before we stopped off to get a M&M Frosty at Wendy's and to early vote! ha ha ha


I felt fine, the babies were moving, no pain or anything anywhere. Of course being in any car accident is scary, but we were just glad no one was hurt and the car can be fixed. When I got home, I called my doctor to let her know what had happened, and she said that b/c I was 7 months pregnant and it was twins, that I needed to get to a hospital immediately to get checked out. I don't know what I thought, but I guess I just figured if I didn't get hurt or wasn't experiencing any pain and felt the babies kicking, that everything was okay. But those were my orders, so that is when the tears came (the only time I cried during this crazy, stressful day) I guess I just wasn't expecting to be sent to the hospital.


So we head to Centennial and up to the Maternity ER. Got admitted fairly quickly and was hooked up to lots of monitors. You can see in those early pictures I am smiling in my hospital bed, because I thought we'd be out of there in two hours or so. Boy, I really had NO idea! After being there less than an hour, the nurse came in and said the babies looked great, but that I was having contractions!!! I was completely shocked. I had not felt a thing. So that meant we were gonna be there for a while. She said I needed to get hooked up to an IV - one to help stop the contractions (which for a while were every 3-4 minutes!) and also b/c I was dehydrated, as I had not drank anything for about four hours. * I would like to take this moment to thank Emily Herrick, who recently told me that if I ever had an IV, to request it be put in my wrist area, instead of my hand or inner elbow. I've never had an IV before, so I was kind of nervous, but they were able to get a vain in my left wrist area, and it really was not bad at all. Thanks, Em! * So that was kind of surprising and a little scary (the contractions), but I knew I was in good hands. They also took blood and then told me that it could take at least four hours to get the lab results back, so that is when we knew we'd be there even longer. Eventually, the contractions subsided, we got our ultrasound (the placentas & cervix looked great!) and finally all the results from the lab came back just fine. THANK YOU JESUS! We were discharged at midnight, and were both so tired and I was very hungry, as I was only allowed ice chips to munch on while at the hospital. A hamburger and fries never tasted so good at 12:30 at night!!! We made it home safe and sound and crashed into bed. I took the day off from work to rest and take it easy. I do have to go back to my OB doctor tomorrow just to check on me. Hopefully no more contractions and I expect everything to be just fine. Please rejoice with us that everyone was okay and that things were not worse yesterday. Please pray with us that everything will work out with filing all of this with the other driver's insurance (especially the hospital bill, which I imagine will be relatively large) and that it all works out. Also thank God for Ms. Trudy & Ms. Carlotta, the sweet nurses that took such good care of me, our girls, and Joel too! :o) Thanks to all of you for your love for us!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a crazy day!! I'm so glad mom & babies (& dad of course) are ok!! Unless something crazy comes up I'm planning on seeing you next Sat :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you are all ok! You'll be in that bed again when it's delivery time, but you may not be smiling quite so big until you see those girls : ). Take it easy. Anything that happens to your body at this point can pull the placenta off the uterine wall, which you don't feel, but can be very dangerous for the girls. I suppose they told you that when you got lectured, but I'll tell you again! : ) We are thankful for God's protection over you. I wish I could be at your shower next week! I know it will be so much fun. Enjoy it all! Love and hugs from us all!

Lauren said...

So glad you and the girls are okay!!
Loves to all of you!!
Lauren

Stacy Head said...

Oh my goodness, what an ordeal! We are soooooo thankful that both you and the babies are fine :) Just think...not too much longer! How exciting ~ just get ready for a season of chaos! Lots of love, Stacy

Julie said...

Oh my goodness!! That's CRAZY!! I'm so glad that all of you are okay!! Cent's ER is great!! They are very thorough!! I'm glad you had a good experience with them!! We had 2 visits there before I moved in on the 6th floor for 3 weeks and they were great!! You hang in there and take it easy!!


Us at Thanksgiving

All smiles on the Big Day




Faith never knows where it is being led, but it knows and loves the One who is leading. ~Oswald Chambers