But I do want to give you a "sample" of some of the crazier times around here - maybe just for my own need to vent, but if you're curious, please - read on!
It was about 10:30 and we'd gotten both girls fed and to sleep. Joel headed off to bed and I was not far behind (ha ha ha) I decided to take a few quick minutes to clean up before I had to pump and then go to bed, expecting to wake up again around 1:30 or so. I put away the dirty dishes, cause I really don't like having them laying around. Dishwasher loaded. Then I see that we have no clean bottles, so I take another ten minutes or so to clean those. Oh yeah, and then I remember that I have clothes in the washer that had been soaking (Kennedy had a major blow out, so needed to deep clean those things!) so I was just gonna throw them in the dryer, but when I opened that, I saw the clothes that I had dried yesterday were still in there! Go to find a laundry basket, but they're all full of clean clothes from the past three weeks that still haven't been put away. Ugh. I do NOT have time to fold clothes, so I dump out some of the clean ones in the girls room and put the "new" clean clothes in that basket. Laundry done for now. Then I sit down to pump for about 15 minutes. Finish that and then hurry up to get in bed. Now it is 11:30 p.m. Lay down for about ten minutes and then Natalie wakes up and is ready to eat. Since I hadn't fallen asleep yet, I still felt decent and thought maybe I could handle this feeding without waking up Joel and was actually kind of excited. And Kennedy was still asleep, so I geared up for another feeding. Took Natalie over an hour to eat. Was about finished up with her when I heard Kennedy cry. Once she is awake and hungry, she does not want to wait. Natalie was awake but content so I put her in the boppy (I LOVE THE BOPPY!!!) and started feeding Kennedy. By the way, I nurse and supplement with formula for every feeding. That is what we have found works for us right now. Anyway, after about five minutes, Natalie is getting fussy, but I decide to let her fuss. I really don't want to have to wake up Joel, cause I want to try and give him the "gift" of a few hours sleep in a row. After ten minutes, Natalie is crying and Kennedy is fussing while she eats (she does this sometimes, I don't get it) so I decide that Natalie is probably still hungry, so I go get Joel. He makes a bottle to give her, but she acts like she doesn't want it and keeps crying. An hour goes by. Joel doesn't feel good and I want him to go back to sleep, so I tell him to get back in bed.
* I would like to say here that Joel gets up with me for EVERY feeding, b/c he is wonderful and knows that I need his help. I could NOT do it without him!!! *
I am gonna try and give Kennedy a bottle and breastfeed Natalie some more, because this usually soothes a fussy baby. But then I see Natalie has pretty much fallen asleep, so I lay her down in her bed. Finish feeding Kennedy. She isn't acting sleepy at all, and is looking at me with wide eyes. It's almost 3:00 a.m. and I really want to get in bed (I haven't even gone to sleep yet, remember!) so I lay down with her in bed. We both are almost asleep when Natalie is up again. No!!! I think maybe Kennedy will let me put her down in the bed and I'll try and comfort Natalie. No way, Jose. Two fussy babies. One tired mommy. They've already eaten. It's 3:30 and I do not have the energy to start the feeding process all over again. I mean, aren't they tired??? I try and comfort both, but it's hard. I am losing my cool now and feel really overwhelmed and don't want to have to wake Joel up. So at 3:30, I call Cathy (my mom-in-law) and she comes over to help me and let me get some rest. Great gift - four hours of continual sleep!
Anyway, today has been a really good day and hopefully tonight will not be quite so crazy, but if it is, I know we can get through. I can't call Cathy every night! God gives us all that we need, and I will rely on that.
For now, here are some pictures of the girls for you to enjoy...

7 comments:
These pics are adorable and your journaling....well, I was in tears by the time it was over because I SOOOOO remember having a few nights like those and my heart goes out to you. You are definitely blessed to have Cathy come :) Hopefully, they will be sleeping through the night soon. When Lauren and Gracyn were that age, I had another mom of twins (who were toddlers then) tell me that 14-16 weeks was the "magic" age for them to sleep through the night and she was RIGHT! Since then, I can count on one hand the number of times that Gracyn has gotten up in the middle of the night. So, hang in there, and definitely vent when you need to! If not on here, then definitely call me! Lots of love and hugs....Stacy
OH Joanna...I think about y'all all the time...and my heart goes out to you! I can't relate to the twins thing, but we had our share of horrid nights, and there just isn't anything you can say but hang in there. It will get better soon, and as crazy as the lack of sleep is making you feel, you aren't crazy - just another new mommy adjusting to life with 2 newborns! I'm so glad you can call your mother in law in the middle of the night - what a gift indeed! You will look back on this time one day and laugh...and be proud that you made it through and have 2 beautiful, well-adjusted, SLEEPING through the night children to show for all those sleepless, frustration-filled, anxiety-ridden nights!
BIG HUGS!
joanna those pics are adorable ennedy is sooooo cute when she smiles . hugs and kisses for everyone .
Precious baby girls Joanna!! You hang in there mommy- 4 hours of sleep- what a treat!
Kristen Parker
Bless your heart!! Your post brought me to tears!! I remember those days all too clearly!! Just remember that you are doing a GREAT job!! You are a wonderful mother!! This is what I had to learn when the boys were little...laundry will get done when it gets done, the house will get clean some day, forget washing bottles by hand (they are dishwasher safe), and keep the babies on the same schedule (that's right...wake one of them up if need be to keep them on the absolute same schedule~that's the only way you will get sleep and not lose your mind!! I know it's hard when the house is a mess and your laundry is everywhere, but you have to just forget it...give those chores over to friends/family that come to visit. Okay, I know I am rambling, so you need to just call me and vent or whatever...I totally understand everything you are experiencing...it SUCKS being so tired!! Hang in there!!
Oh wow! I'm so impressed you called for help and what a gift that Joel's mom is willing to help at any hour of the night!! Can't wait to meet them soon.
Hello! This post made me laugh especially. Very few nights was I able to not wake Eric up to help. With twins, it's hard for either parent to really get a break! Your girls are beautiful!
Post a Comment