I can hardly believe the words as I'm typing them, but they are very true! I am pregnant! The nurse called me right as I was getting ready to leave work this afternoon, and when I saw that number pop up on the caller id, my heart just started pounding. And her words to me were, "Congratulations, you are very pregnant!" Apparently, my hormone levels were through the roof! Her next words were, "I am almost positive you'll be having multiples!" Honestly, I am not surprised. I think I was just in shock, because my mind went blank and I couldn't think of anything to ask her. She said that my HCG level (I think that's a pregnancy hormone) was 742, which compared to where most women would be at this stage in the game, most levels are between 100-200! Oh my goodness! After giving me a few more numbers and another appointment time, we hung up and for a minute I just stood at my desk, stunned and trying to let the news sink in. In my heart of hearts, I had really believed that I was pregnant, but I was trying to be realistic and wait to hear the actual results. I have felt different all week, and pretty tired too. But when I woke up this morning to get ready to go to the clinic and have my blood drawn, I felt so nervous.
Let me recap the day for you... I woke up around 8:00 and had butterflies in my stomach. Joel had already left for work, but had prayed over me before he left. I put on a Christian cd and proceeded to get ready, trying to take deep breaths and calm down. Driving to the clinic, I just kept praying and talking to God, singing praise songs, and speaking scripture to myself. As I pulled in the parking lot and parked my car, I just took a deep breath and said, "Lord, I commit myself and these little embryos to You. I know that no matter what the result, you love me so much and are in control over all of it." So I went in, gave blood, and left. It was very fast.
I headed to work, which is at an elementary school. It was our field day and that couldn't have been a more perfect way for me to pass the time and enjoy my day while I waited for "the call." It was a gorgeous day, and I sat under a big old tree and painted faces. All day. It immediately helped to calm me down and take my mind off things. I really had fun, and enjoyed seeing all the kids. Before I knew it, it was almost 3 o'clock and time to go. My nerves were gone, but I kept looking at my phone, which I knew could ring at any time.
So, you know what happened next... then I had to wait to drive home to tell Joel. I just couldn't do it over the phone, this was too big & important, and I had to see the look on his face when I told him. So I raced home (as safely as possible, of course) and walked in trying to look nonchalant. After putting my stuff down, we sat together on the couch. I said, "I need a hug" and he gave me one. Then I just leaned back, and said, "Honey, you're going to be a daddy!!!" The biggest grin broke out on his face, and for the next few minutes, we just kept hugging and smiling, hugging and smiling. And Joel kept saying, "Thank you, Jesus, Thank you, Jesus." It was so sweet! After relishing in our new reality for a few minutes, we immediately called our family and shared the news. Of course, they were beside themselves with joy and excitement for us.
I am four weeks along, which is determined by the fact that our eggs were retrieved two weeks ago, and then you add two more weeks for gestational age. I will continue to go to the clinic for blood work a couple of times a week for them to monitor my levels and make sure they are going up. I will continue on all my medicines and shots, til they tell me otherwise. Joel & I will go for our first ultrasound when I'm about 8 weeks, so in another month or so. Then we'll hear the heartbeat, and know just how many little ones are in there! :o)
I cannot even find words to express my deepest gratitude to each of you who have written me and called me this week to say you're thinking of us and praying for us. You are so kind. This is the part where I tear up writing all this, because I have been so overwhelmed by your love and support of us. Truly. I have never felt so surrounded by the body of Christ! You have blessed me, and all I can say is that my cup is overflowing. Thank you.
I am so glad each of you is on this journey with us and can share in our joy! Please keep up the prayers for these little ones growing inside of me, that they will develop as they should, and that they will grow into healthy babies. I will continue to post pictures as my belly grows and give you updates as we navigate along this new path to parenthood. We are so thrilled!
Saturday, May 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Us at Thanksgiving
All smiles on the Big Day
Faith never knows where it is being led, but it knows and loves the One who is leading. ~Oswald Chambers

12 comments:
Oh Joanna, I am just so happy for you and Joel!! What a blessing. We will keep ALL of you in our prayers!! We love you guys -Lauren
Those levels are awesome and I would definitely say multiples!!! My hcg level at 4 weeks was 274 and that was twins!! We are definitely praying for you both and the "little ones". Congratulations!!!
YAY!! Congratulations Momma! We are so excited for you both. I actually had little tears of joy when I read your blog. God is truly amazing! We are always praying for you all! :)
I have tears.. I'm so excited! Congratulations!
Have a wonderful mother's day celebration on Sunday!
Joel, you and I now have no excuse not to be enjoying a Cigar as we celebrate the news. You pick the time (how about Stogies) and I will be there to help celebrate.
WOW! What an amazing blessing.
We will be praying and looking forward to updates.
Much Love!
God is good! Congratulations!
Happy mothers day to you, Joanna! I'm so thrilled for y'all. YAY!!!
Happy MOTHER'S Day Joanna! Martin and I (and Livy) are THRILLED for you and Joel...it couldn't have happened to a better couple. Love to ALL of you!
YAHOO!!!! i'm lovin' it....Jesus is good. And what a journey this has been and will continue to be. I am so happy for y'all and so thankful that i get to be along for part of the ride. Love you!
I am so thankful for this news! Congratulations on becoming a Mommy!
Congratulations, Johnna! I am so happy for you guys. So, multiples, huh??!! Enjoy the quiet while it lasts:)
Post a Comment